[Openicc] GoSoC 2011: CPD and ... Mike Sweet workflow

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu May 12 23:16:21 PDT 2011

On May 12, 2011, at 9:36 PM, Graeme Gill wrote:
> Michael Sweet wrote:
>> It MUST be a specialized application - OpenOffice isn't going to print a target, take
>> measurements, or make an ICC profile. Giving the user a control that turns off color
>> management doesn't make color managed workflows any more accessible but DOES lead to a
>> really bad (and frustrating) print experience.
>
> This is incorrect. OpenOffice may well be used to print the target.
> The target is very often just an raster image file. People use all sorts
> of apps to print test targets, and complain bitterly when they
> make a mess of something as simple as passing the raster values
> to the device unchanged.

We (Apple) unfortunately have a lot of experience with this, and making all applications capable of printing device color leads to some unfortunate mistakes by developers that know nothing about color management, and that may lead you to make changes to force the default RGB color space to something other than DeviceRGB in order to get consistent output from those applications.

So no, I don't want users printing targets from arbitrary applications that have no notion of color management. Instead I want to see applications that are specifically written to print targets, measure them, and produce profiles that can be used by arbitrary applications.