[Openicc] GoSoC 2011: CPD and ... Mike Sweet workflow

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Thu May 12 23:52:21 PDT 2011

Michael Sweet wrote:
> We (Apple) unfortunately have a lot of experience with this, and making all
> applications capable of printing device color leads to some unfortunate mistakes by
> developers that know nothing about color management, and that may lead you to make
> changes to force the default RGB color space to something other than DeviceRGB in order
> to get consistent output from those applications.

Just because some people make some mistakes, is no reason
to make printer profile practically impossible. It would
be much better to look for a win-win solution.

> So no, I don't want users printing targets from arbitrary applications that have no
> notion of color management. Instead I want to see applications that are specifically
> written to print targets, measure them, and produce profiles that can be used by
> arbitrary applications.

Nearly all existing color profiling tools assume that a normal
test chart printing process can involve using a normal application
(like Photoshop) to print the chart. Taking away this capability
and not providing any other means of achieving this necessary
step (never mind negating the possibility of application color
matching on the assumption that there is no justification for it),
flies in the face of reality.

If this is the way Apple sees it, no wonder there are a lot
of angry Color professionals out there. I certainly wouldn't
want to see any of the Linux systems to go down this route.