[Openicc] Printing targets: App or driver ? Profiling RGB or CMYK

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Tue May 17 01:03:26 PDT 2011

Hi Alastair,
You made a good point. For a smooth step forward, with current available
tools and settings (Argyll / Gutenprint), you correct, that profiling in
RGB based on a good Gutenprint RGB->CMYK Setting is easier for crowd
profiling, which is quite important for the next months.

Question to Robert Krawitz:
There are a lot of testet Gutenprint settings available, which include
the Gutenprint specific RGB->CMYK conversion.
- Is it possible to create a Gutenprint "CMYK-only" setting by just
deactivating the RGB->CMYK conversion ?
- Is it possible to to read easily following parameters from the
deactivated RGB->CMYK conversion:
     - Black generation settings ?
     - Total ink limit ?
For stepping into CMYK profiling, this could lead to following workflow
- read the Gutenprint settings black geneartion and ink-limit for an
tested setting
- deactivate the Gutenprint RGB-CMYK conversion
- Print the testchart
- generate profile with similar settings for black generation and ink-limit

Question to Graeme Gill:
Some Ink / Media Combinations need heavy total ink limits. Is it
possible with Argyll to create CMYK-testcharts which are alraedyoptimize
for an ink limit and black generation ?

Best regards
Jan-Peter

--