[Openicc] questions about cupsICC on remote CUPS servers

Hal V. Engel hvengel at gmail.com
Wed May 18 10:46:39 PDT 2011

On Wednesday, May 18, 2011 07:48:17 AM Jan-Peter Homann wrote:
> Hello to all,
> It would be fine, if somebody could answer my questions or comment my
> workflow ideas.
>
> As I´m not a developer, my ideas or workflow recommendations  may have
> problems or pitfalls. But my goal is to bring the discussion in a
> direction to discuss workflow opportunities, which could be realized in
> near future with current available technologies.
>

> Thanks an best regards
> Jan-Peter
>
> Am 17.05.11 16:57, schrieb Jan-Peter Homann:
> > Hello all,
> > Following the dicussions in the OpenICC list, i have the impression,
> > that a color managed print path with a remote CUPS server is somehow
> > more tricky to implement, than a local installation.
> >
> > see e.g. statements from Hal. V. Engel
> >
> > > There is no good reason to point cups clients at localhost if the spool
> > >
> > > is actually on another box. lpoptions should specify the remote spool
> > >
> > > as one's default printer in such cases. And with that, both the CUPS
> > >
> > > API and http over port 631 should give direct access to the PPD.
> >
> > Direct access to the PPD is already supported and this makes it
> > possible to get a list of CUPS configure profiles (IE. CUPSICCProfile
> > entries). Oyranos apready does this. But on remote print servers there
> > is no way to retrieve one of these profiles for things like proofing.
> > HTTP over port 631 does not expose the profiles unless you create a
> > sym-link from the dirrectory that is visible using http and port 631
> > to the profiles directory. At best this is a hack but it would allow
> > us to create a "retrieve proofing profile" API for prototyping
> > purposes without too much effort so that how all of this works from a
> > user prespective could be tested.
> >

> > *****
> > Reading such discussion I realize, that I need a deeper understanding
> > of some Aspects of CUPS based workflows. Hopefully somebody could
> > answer to my questions:
> >

> > 1) Dynamic updating of PPDs for a remote CUPS server
> > Are there tools available, which allow to update automatically a PPD
> > representing a remote CUPS server ?
> > The use case here would be the installation of new combinations of
> > ICC-profiles with assigned driver settings on the CUPS server with an
> > automatic update of the cupsICC entries in the PPD.

There are no tools that exist for this.  In addition the PPD files are intended
for printer/driver vendors and the whole setup is designed to be static.  So
currently using PPD files for dynamic configuration is not possible and will
require a lot of work to change.

> > 2) CUPS client pulling PPD from the remote CUPS server
> > Are tools available, which allow a CUPS cleint to pull a PPD from the
> > remote CUPS server ?
> > (The usecase here is, that the printing GUI for sending a print job
> > gets an update, which driver settings (media / resolution) are
> > available at the remote server.

This is already in place and widely used.