[Openicc] cupsICC on remote CUPS servers Part 2

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Tue May 24 05:35:58 PDT 2011

Hello Jan-Peter,

I understand why having settings on a CUPS server is a good thing for some
admins and certainly for vendors.
However let me put in some ideas _why_ that might be a good thing and why
sometimes not.

If a way exists to convince a admin to install the modified PPD and ICC
profile, and the admin has a easy means to do so on a CUPS server by a
GUI, thats fine. The same tools could help vendors to adapt their
packages to certain colour management settings. Users can then enjoy a
colour managed print path regardless from where the print job is sent.

However normal users might have no control over a CUPS server in many
cases. Imagine a user can sit in a school or facility and the admins do
not want any unprivileged user to fiddle with persistent CUPS server
settings.
The same admin might be complete ignorant to any user requests to install
the profile and modify the server installed PPDs. Users have to live with
that. Nevertheless we want to enable these users to do colour management
regardless of their admin, by respecting the security concerns that this
admin might have in the first place. A selfcontained PDF is a good thing
to integrate user wishes with admin demands.

The good thing is, we can work on the vendor/admin cupsICCprofile side and
the selfcontained PDF side at the same time.