[Openicc] What is exactly needed for color management ... driver setup PPD

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Tue May 31 17:10:21 PDT 2011

On Tue, 31 May 2011 21:44:27 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 31 May 2011 21:13, Jan-Peter Homann <homann at colormanagement.de> wrote:
>> Is it correct, that you are using the cupsICC qualifier specified in the PPD
>> of the printer, for doing the described match of printer profile and driver
>> setting ?
>
> Correct -- See http://colord.hughsie.com/faq.html#qualifiers
>
>> this leads for me for more questions:
>>
>> - Is it possible to prepare a printer profile, that it will automatically
>> match the corrects cupsICC qualifiers for a given printer ?
>
> Yes, although we haven't actually sat down and defined a DICT key and
> value format that can be used in colord and oyranos. I suppose it
> could be something like:
>
> KEY:  "QUALIFIER_defaults"
> VALUE: "RGB.Glossy.*,RGB.Plain.*"
>
> KEY:  "COLORD_objectid"
> VALUE: "cups-Photosmart-B109a-m"
>
> But better ideas certainly welcome.

Just make sure the value can be arbitrarily large, so that we can pass
a serialized Gutenprint settings object through this.  That settings
object might include LUTs for each channel, with up to 65536 values
per channel expressed in text format floating point number.  In other
words, a limit of less than a megabyte or thereabouts could get us
into trouble, and once it's that large, you might as well forget about
limits.