[Openicc] What is exactly needed for color management ... driver setup PPD

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Jun 1 08:55:36 PDT 2011

On Jun 1, 2011, at 5:36 AM, Robert Krawitz wrote:
>> *WHY* do people designing file formats insist on having arbitrary
> limitations like that???!!!  Yes, I know it's slightly more convenient
> in C if you can use fixed-length strings and arrays (you can just
> declare objects rather than having to go through the slight
> inconvenience of constructing them), but...but...but…

It is easy to throw stones, Robert, but understand that CUPS Raster was developed on 25MHz MIPS R2000 systems with a specific goal of replacing a streamable TIFF variant for streaming simple raster data using device or "standard" (pick one) color spaces. Job ticket information (the page device dictionary) is only provided to support simple per-page overrides for things like page size and so forth and is not (and never was) designed as a general container for binary goo that you might want to pass...

That said, why do you want to pass arbitrary driver data embedded in the print document?