[Openicc] What is exactly needed for color management ... driver setup PPD

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Jun 1 10:32:34 PDT 2011

On Jun 1, 2011, at 10:18 AM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> Am 01.06.11, 10:07 -0700 schrieb Michael Sweet:

>>> Would that 5th param be able to hold 1MByte as Robert expected the calibration to be?
>>

>> As misguided an approach as I think this to be, it should work on any modern OS with swap. IMHO device calibration/configuration information should be stored out-of-band as a resource that is referenced by the job.
>
> What is your recommendation to reference local user settings out of band from a remote CUPS filter?

If you are printing to a shared printer, the server doing the sharing should provide remote storage, access, and management of device configuration/calibration information, and that's what most of the Gutenprint options are.  IMHO we need to separate user intent from device configuration, since user intent does not require expert knowledge and often changes from job to job while device configuration is fairly constant - only as often as you profile a particular ink/media/settings combination.