[Openicc] What is exactly needed: Embedded Profile in CUPS raster !!

Alastair M. Robinson blackfive at fakenhamweb.co.uk
Thu Jun 2 01:07:24 PDT 2011

Hi,

On 02/06/11 00:31, Graeme Gill wrote:

> Choose printer setup -> implies profile.
>
> I suspect the latter is likely to be much more user friendly, since
> creating profile is non-trivial, and covering every possible printer
> setup with a profile is likely to be impossible (combinatorial explosion),
> and unnecessary (the same profile may work OK with many similar setups).

I disagree - I'm very nervous about having any degree of confidence in a
system choosing the *right* profile for any given set of printer
options, since as you say, there's a combinatorial explosion and only a
handful can possibly be covered.

Also there's a one-to-many relationship between printer settings and
profiles which can't be taken into account by a system that
automatically selects a profile from a bundle of settings.  (The system
can't know which particular paper I have loaded when several different
brands of glossy paper need the same print settings but different profiles.)

For a long time we've wanted a way of bundling up a settings blob with a
colour profile for easy distribution. The profile meta tag gives us that
ability if we play it right.

Having the printer settings bundled up into a single object should
vastly reduce the number of printer options that have to be exposed to
the user, which should please the usability-over-usefulness folks.

Finally, ICC profiles can be embedded in PDFs using OutputIntent, which
makes it (potentially) possible to use profile/settings blobs without
having to install anything on the server when client and server are
different machines.

Using the Choose Profile -> Implies Printer Settings paradigm does solve
a number of issues and I think it's pretty compelling.

All the best
--
Alastair M. Robinson