[Openicc] Gutenprint obstinacy

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 18:38:20 PDT 2011

Hi folks,

I am starting to modify some prototype Gutenprint code written by Robert,
that loads and saves inking options, and trying to figure out how it
interacts with the underlying system (my modifications seem to be breaking
the defaults override). Could someone who knows Ubuntu explain to me how and
where the defaults for printing get *stored*, be it when they are set from
the Print administration utility, be it when they are set from the CUPS
interface? I assume there is an initial "stemcell" PPD, then a "live" PPD,
and then some user-specific options which are squirelled away somewhere?
Where are all tehse things, how can one quickly figure out what would be
passed through in the end?

Edmund

It depends upon "how they are set by the user".  If they are set via