[Openicc] W3C recommendations for displaying RGB JPEG images with embedded ICC-profiles

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Mon Aug 15 08:26:36 PDT 2011

Hello Chris, hello list

JPEG image formats allow to embedd ICC-profiles into image files, to
give a clear color reference, if the colorspace of an image is not sRGB.
I have done some research on the W3C site to get an impression, if W3C
does any statements, if its forbidden to to use JPEG images with
embedded profiles, or if this is allowed.

During my research, I got the impression that this topic is currently
out of the scope of the W3C.
Is this correct ?

On the other hand, concerning the SVG specification, which are
maintained by W3C, there are clear statements on conformance levels and
ICC support for SVG viewers.

 From my point of view, it would make sense, if the W3C would define
some levels of Browser conformance for usage on embedded profile JPEG
(and PNG) images.

It is possible to (and e.g. als available with Firefox), that
ICC-profile support is implemented at application (e.g. browser) level.
We also have a growing number of devices and platforms (e.g. Android and
Apple iPad), which currently do not provide an display profile to
applications.

This situation could be solved, if applications (e.g. browsers) are
using sRGB as an default internal Display profile, if the platform do
not delivers an display-profile. In this case JPEG images with e.g.
embedded AdobeRGB ICC-profile would be rendered with application based
colormanagement to sRGB and than displayed on a device.

Chris, could you please describe the W3C view on JPEG (and PNG) with
embedded profile in W3C compliant viewers (e.g. browsers) ?

Thanks and best regards
Jan-Peter

--
----------  Please note the new adress --------------