[Openicc] W3C recommendations for displaying RGB JPEG images with embedded ICC-profiles

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Mon Aug 15 09:01:38 PDT 2011

Hello Jan-Peter,

Am 15.08.11, 17:26 +0200 schrieb Jan-Peter Homann:
> Hello Chris, hello list
>
> JPEG image formats allow to embedd ICC-profiles into image files, to give a
> clear color reference, if the colorspace of an image is not sRGB.
> I have done some research on the W3C site to get an impression, if W3C does
> any statements, if its forbidden to to use JPEG images with embedded
> profiles, or if this is allowed.

Forbidding ICC profiles would contradict existing specifications and make
the W3C spec inconsistent.

> From my point of view, it would make sense, if the W3C would define some
> levels of Browser conformance for usage on embedded profile JPEG (and PNG)
> images.

In PNG the iCCP tag for ICC profiles is defined:
http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/spec/iso/index-object.html#11iCCP

There are more references on ColourWiki:
http://www.oyranos.org/wiki/index.php?title=Standards#File_Formats