[Openicc] Scarse Profile Library Warning

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Mon Nov 21 04:28:33 PST 2011

Hello,

over the weekend I looked at the Scarse library profiles and found
some colorimetric fine and several flawed profiles.

Most prominently the sRGB (simplified) has a strong gamma problem. This is
normal for profiles which do not use the sRGB curve. This one assumes a
simple gamma of 2.2, which results in some deltaE´s in mainly dark areas.

An other prominent one is the AdobeRGB of the Scarse collection. It showed
in my tests a very strong blue cast with the relative colorimetric intent.
The absolute intent was fine. This profile is not any longer available
online but may be present in several packages. Please switch to the Argyll
AdobeRGB replacement profile.

Colorimetric fine where WideGamutRGB and AppleRGB. The later one might
have importance only for historic material. The colorimetric primaries are
not 100% as the original but inside the typical ICC format precision,
which is fine.

ColorMatch had more serious divergine color primaries, which caused some
deltaE´s. The same for ProPhoto, which I compared with the ROMM profile
from ICC website.

The reference profiles, which I used for the test, where implemented by
littleCMS and Adobe.