[Openicc] CUPS, colord, Oyranos, printer color management

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Mon Jan 16 01:59:40 PST 2012

Am 15.01.12, 19:16 -0000 schrieb Richard Hughes:
> On 15 January 2012 16:54, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
>> The patch, which hacks colord specific hooks into CUPS, was submitted in
>> disagreement.
>
> Dude, you disagree with everything I've done with colord because I
> didn't use oyranos for reasons I'm not going to outline again. The
> patch is not a "hack"; it's been planned, implemented and debugged by
> myself and long-time CUPS contributor Tim Waugh. It's been used on
> real world users since GNOME 3.0.

There is a design bug and you continue to ignore it. We have seen
similiar bug reports regarding colour management components of you ignored
by you for months. It seems I can only escalate to get them fixed, as
usual. So far to your first sentence in this reply.

> You're quite free to learn the CUPS codebase and submit your own CUPS
> patch, or even do everything client side. If you don't have colord
> installed, then the CUPS patch doesn't actually do anything at all.

You want that functionality. So it is up to you to do the real work
and fix it, especially in your own code. I agree that the desired
funtionality is not yet in CUPS available. But I invested already serious
time on a alternative approach, through discussion, designing and
mentoring including a student spent a GSoC project on an alternative
and standard conforming path. That path is open for Gnome too.

>> Parts of the OpenICC colour community felt and feel negatively affected by
>> sidestepping regular colour profile selection mechanisms.
>
> Then they are free to step up and do something different themselves.

See above.

> For the entire of my professional career, I've been trying to ignore
> people who exude "stop energy" and actually try to write code to fix
> real world problems.

Sorry, I do not understand.

regards