[Openicc] CUPS, colord, Oyranos, printer color management

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Mon Jan 16 02:28:18 PST 2012

Hello to all,
Just some questions from a endusers sight:

g-c-m / colord and Oyranos are two differnt projects and also differnt
philosophies for handling profile device matching and color management
policies on system level.

The enduser should know, that he should decide, to use one of this
solutions, but should not try to use them simultanious on one machine.

If both solutions use their own CUPS patch for handling device / profile
matching with connection to CUPS, there is no need, that both CUPS
patchs are coordinated.

Both projects may need a some form of cooperation if we adress the use
case, that vendors of printers or printing media want to ship profiles
with embedded metadata for device matching, which could be used both
inside g-c-m / colord or Oyranos.

If such agreement has been coordinated through the OpenICC list, both
CUPS patches for both projects could be updated individually, if needed.

Best regards
Jan-Peter