[Openicc] CUPS, colord, Oyranos, printer color management

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Mon Jan 16 03:19:15 PST 2012

Am 16.01.12, 11:28 +0100 schrieb Jan-Peter Homann:
> g-c-m / colord and Oyranos are two differnt projects and also differnt
> philosophies for handling profile device matching and color management
> policies on system level.
>
> The enduser should know, that he should decide, to use one of this solutions,
> but should not try to use them simultanious on one machine.

That is not possible. End users install Oyranos and gnome automatically as
a hard dependency of various packages.

> If both solutions use their own CUPS patch for handling device / profile
> matching with connection to CUPS, there is no need, that both CUPS patchs are
> coordinated.

My point is not about introducing more patches to CUPS. The profile
selection path must be well defined or we can stop in colour management
and obtain chaos. The actual hack is not a open API. It is a pain for
users to check various GUIs if their profile selection is not side
stepped or to trace bugs in such a environment.

> Both projects may need a some form of cooperation if we adress the use case,
> that vendors of printers or printing media want to ship profiles with
> embedded metadata for device matching, which could be used both inside g-c-m
> / colord or Oyranos.

I am not sure if that is the right level for the above problem. Profile
selection and profile matching are quite different parts in the system.
Anyway, cooperation on standards is a good thing.