[Openicc] Actually getting color managed printing to work

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 16:09:03 PST 2012

Robert,

 I think that we have been going round in circles for long enough on the
openICC list, and we might as well now implement a hack based on the
existing state of play rather than waiting forever for the superstructure
to stabilize before modding the Gutenprint backend.

 Specifically, I think we should figure out a quick way to distribute some
"ready to play" profilable printer configurations, by using the existing
packaging system. In as much as people can send me single page targets, I
will generate distributable profiles for these. This should allow users to
actually enjoy the benefits of profiled printing, and move things along a
bit.

 I think Richard's colord can probably then be used quite easily to help
build a color managed print path for our pre-configured printers non-color
managed apps eg. browsers that want to print sRGB images.

Edmund