[Openicc] Actually getting color managed printing to work

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jan 27 16:45:10 PST 2012

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 01:09:03 +0100, edmund ronald wrote:
>  I think that we have been going round in circles for long enough on the
> openICC list, and we might as well now implement a hack based on the
> existing state of play rather than waiting forever for the superstructure
> to stabilize before modding the Gutenprint backend.

I think we're actually pretty close to a consensus around passing XML to
the back end driver.  Even if we haven't worked out the details yet, I
don't expect the basics to change very much.  It's certainly close
enough to prototype.

So for prototype purposes, how do we want to send the XML data to
Gutenprint?  Richard?  Mike?

For extracting the data from Gutenprint, there are a few possibilities.
One would be the hack where we dump out the state to a file from inside
rastertogutenprint.  Another might be to add something to the GIMP
plugin to export a configuration.

>  Specifically, I think we should figure out a quick way to distribute
> some "ready to play" profilable printer configurations, by using the
> existing packaging system. In as much as people can send me single
> page targets, I will generate distributable profiles for these. This
> should allow users to actually enjoy the benefits of profiled
> printing, and move things along a bit.
>
>  I think Richard's colord can probably then be used quite easily to
> help build a color managed print path for our pre-configured printers
> non-color managed apps eg. browsers that want to print sRGB images.

--Eric Crampton