[Openicc] Assuring that all CUPS filter chains under Linux accept ICC profiles

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Feb 2 11:36:10 PST 2012

On Feb 2, 2012, at 4:29 AM, Richard Hughes wrote:
> Well, the idea is you set up some print profiles for the printer ahead
> of time, i.e. you set profile X for color printing on glossy paper,
> and set up profile Y for draft color printing on plain paper. Users
> should not "choose" an ICC profile in a print dialog in the same way
> they don't choose ink limits and ink-dry parameters. It's an
> implementation detail, and not useful to add as a control. Sure, show
> the user what profile would be chosen for a set of media types (which
> is what the GTK print dialog does) but don't let the user control such
> low level details.

The parallel use case/UI is that you allow the user to pick the profile (like a preset) which then sets any media and driver settings associated with the profile.  In both cases you setup the profile ahead of time, and in both cases you don't allow the user to mix profiles and settings willy-nilly (at least not without some confirmation/"I know what I'm doing" UI...)