[Openicc] Gutenprint XML media settings written to live PPD

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 17:36:47 PST 2012

In my opinion, Chris touches on the usual and important distinction of
where one puts *chosen* settings, *user defined presets*, and where one
puts *possible defaults and options*.

Gutenprint is the originator of the Gutenprint PPDs; in that sense I
believe we are allowed, and in fact required,  to place our own device
presets in the device PPD. This is already done eg. to allow the selection
of  a paper type eg. Epson Premium Glossy. The system admin is, I guess,
also allowed to choose default presets in the PPD,eg. default paper size
and default media,  and of course the admin chooses which printer PPD to
install. In this sense, even with Chris' remark, I have no qualms in saying
that the PPD is a good place to place the XML for Gutenprint's default own
locked-down media defintions.

Regarding any definitions the user may choose to save, Chris's remark is
quite pertinent; if domain experts are ultimately to create and work with
media presets, then they need a convenient way to name and store them, and
read them in from user-space. My own feeling is that the file system
hierarchy can provide the necessary folders etc, but we still need to make
sure a user-PPD, or at least the media setting XML can be accessed by the
print system. There will unavoidably be security issues.

Edmund