[Openicc] Minimal X Color Management

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Sun Feb 19 18:15:38 PST 2012

Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

> It would be cool so see colorimeter costs as low as the cheaper colour targets.

I think a lot of peoples perceptions are kind o wacky when it comes
to this. Very high quality instruments are comparatively cheap
(ie. US$170 for the ColorMunki Display). It pales into
insignificance when compared to the many other things people
spend money on (how much do they spend on smartphones,
digital cameras, turning over their computer every 3 years, etc, etc.).
Yet they carry on like it's completely out of reach. I don't see
the obstacle as being instrument cost :- it's all about color
awareness and the value placed on color reproduction.
There are so many ironies here - one of the reasons people
see instruments as expensive is comparing them to the cost
of displays - but one of the reasons that displays are cheap
is that the manufacturer have compromised the consistency and
accurate reporting of their color behaviour.