[Openicc] Minimal X Color Management

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 00:52:10 PST 2012

A low-end add-on colorimeter based on current technology costs $7 when
fabricated in China.
A colorimeter for a display adds $2 to the display cost.
I know because I offered an instrument design to Xrite, and they were not
interested, and I know it is feasible because I had prototypes fabricated.
 I considered distributing myself, but the world simply isn't ready for a
low cost product.

The thing is, channel costs, support, distribution etc push the end-user
price of an add-on colorimeter to the $50 minimum, which is a significant
fraction of the cost of a display, so people then refuse to purchase it. I
can understand that.

I did some market research, and told photo shops that I could supply them
with a $50 instrument, would they carry it. They smiled and said "Look, we
sell $200 instruments, why should we sell a $50 instrument to the customer
instead?".

Edmund