[Openicc] Minimal X Color Management

Tomas Carnecky tom at dbservice.com
Mon Feb 20 05:28:02 PST 2012

From: Graeme Gill [mailto:graeme at argyllcms.com]
To: Open ICC Color Managment [mailto:openicc at lists.freedesktop.org]
Sent: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 13:13:36 +0100
Subject: Re: [Openicc] Minimal X Color Management

edmund ronald wrote:
  > I did some market research, and told photo shops that I could supply them
  > with a $50 instrument, would they carry it. They smiled and said "Look, we
  > sell $200 instruments, why should we sell a $50 instrument to the customer
  > instead?".

  Exactly - $200 is cheap enough. Cost is not the barrier, valuing the result
  enough to spend the money and take the trouble sets the limits for the market
  size.
What is cheap is relative. If you buy a $600 computer then $200 is very expensive. Professional people would never buy such cheap hardware, but then again they are in the minority. Ordinary people are just not willing to pay a 33% premium to see more correct colors in their facebook pictures.

Edmund (or anyone else for that matter), have you done research how much people would be willing to spend? You can have the cheapest product, but if people don't see any value in it they won't buy it. Oh, and usability also matters. I bet if you tell people that they have to spend half an hour to calibrate their display many will be put off.

tom