[Openicc] Minimal X Color Management

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Mon Feb 20 17:17:58 PST 2012

edmund ronald wrote:
>  Concerning the point of view, I feel that much of the current practice of
> color management is bound to the use of the screen as a preview device for
> an expensive print.

Yes, I agree that's often the case.

>  Nowadays, I believe there is a universe of consumers who employ the
> display directly to view images and graphics uploaded to portable devices
> and the web by other consumers - and some strongly simplified color
> management could hugely improve the consistency of this web experience. The
> same goes for TVs and home projectors.

Many people have tackled this problem on multiple occasions with
many different ideas (remember that "webcolor" thing where you
got a color card and manually adjusted your display to match it ?),
and it seems like it's never been "solved".
But some of that may be perception - it's easy to subconsciously
move the goalposts as things progress.
But there are certainly forces working against accurate color at the moment -
the explosion in new display technologies, and the temptation
manufacturers face in trying to make their device more eye-popping
than the next one.

>  If I may be allowed an analogy, when I was writing CAD programs for chips
> 30 years ago, I was using expensive and precise graphic tablets; but
> consumers came along and popularised the imprecise but yet very useful
> computer mouse.

Tablets are cheaper than ever, but not as convenient in a random
amount of desk space. Still widely used by artists, so I'm
not sure what point you're trying to make.