[Openicc] [Per Queue] [GSOC] Making a color assignment in CUPS web interface?

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 13:03:56 PST 2012

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 8:55 PM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:

> Am 27.02.12, 11:25 +0100 schrieb edmund ronald:
>
>  GSOC is coming up so we would have programming resources.
>> The print chain now seems to know about profiles so the interface is the
>> next step to make the print system color managed.
>> CUPS seems a nice place to do this, as it has an interface, and it
>> supplies
>> APIs.
>>
>> To start with, I'd add interface and API facilities to:
>> - Load/save the whole PPD and profiles cleanly into and from user space to
>> wherever CUPS like them.
>> - Associate a profile with a queue,
>> - Switch of color management for a queue
>>
> It might be easier to uninstall the profile and reinstall?
>
> - fixing of calibration options into non changeable settings
>  (such code is already written)
>
> Should be room for other tasks too, like getting more complex calibrations
> right.

Kai-Uwe,
 You're probably right.
 But it's necessary to consider with great care the case of a queue
"without" a profile; at one point OS X users ran into a lot of trouble
because "without" a profile was not the same as turning of color
management. We don't want the same issues to reincarnate under Linux and
haunt us.

kind regards