[Openicc] [Usecases] Usecases for CUPS/Linux

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 05:20:22 PST 2012

I believe any Linux/CUPS printing implementation will need to be checked
re. color against the usecases listed here.

Feel free to suggest additions/changes. I do not know anything about
prepress bureaus, so have left out that case.

1. Jane User. Image downloaded from Facebook, or captured with compact cam.
image can be UNTAGGED. (print as sRGB). Jane prints on "whitebox" glossy or
matte cheap media, does not really care about color.

2. Joe Amateur. Image comes from dSLR, is tagged with a profile which can
be sRGB or Adobe RGB. Joe prints on media with a name, he wants to get
decent results, and can download media settings and a profile, and wants to
print with this special profile and settings.

3. Pete Prosumer. Pete has a calibrated screen and maybe an instrument to
make paper profiles with Argyll. He needs to print profiling targets, and
may want to play with media settings, because after all he uses Linux so he
can change things around.

4. Wade Wide Art: This a printshop with a wide-format Epson, prints for
money, makes his own profiles, and uses strange media so he NEEDS access to
media settings. NB at Gutenprint we are aware of several of such users (!),
they use Gutenprint because of good legacy support for old but VERY
expensive printers.

Edmund