[Openicc] [Usecases] Usecases for CUPS/Linux

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Tue Feb 28 06:29:07 PST 2012

Am 28.02.12, 14:20 +0100 schrieb edmund ronald:
> I believe any Linux/CUPS printing implementation will need to be checked
> re. color against the usecases listed here.
>
> Feel free to suggest additions/changes. I do not know anything about
> prepress bureaus, so have left out that case.
>
> 1. Jane User. Image downloaded from Facebook, or captured with compact cam.
> image can be UNTAGGED. (print as sRGB). Jane prints on "whitebox" glossy or
> matte cheap media, does not really care about color.
>
> 2. Joe Amateur. Image comes from dSLR, is tagged with a profile which can
> be sRGB or Adobe RGB. Joe prints on media with a name, he wants to get
> decent results, and can download media settings and a profile, and wants to
> print with this special profile and settings.
>
> 3. Pete Prosumer. Pete has a calibrated screen and maybe an instrument to
> make paper profiles with Argyll. He needs to print profiling targets, and
> may want to play with media settings, because after all he uses Linux so he
> can change things around.

Networking printers are getting more and more common. Some are routed by
WLAN some over network cables. In commercial and teaching facilities it is
very common to share one device among people. So,

Peter has order to care about the office colour printer to print some
smaller marketing material and office letters if colour is involved.
Because of networking, the devices can be accessed from every work place
without using USB sticks.

> 4. Wade Wide Art: This a printshop with a wide-format Epson, prints for
> money, makes his own profiles, and uses strange media so he NEEDS access to
> media settings. NB at Gutenprint we are aware of several of such users (!),
> they use Gutenprint because of good legacy support for old but VERY
> expensive printers.
>
> Edmund

kind regards
Kai-Uwe