[Openicc] review of new wide gamut editing space

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Wed Mar 21 10:05:22 PDT 2012

Am 21.03.12, 17:56 +0100 schrieb Jan-Peter Homann:
> Hello to all,
> Working with wide Gamut Images makes oonly sense with 16 Bit data.

We need as well a intermediate space for handing off 8-bit data. That is
already used in per window colour correction inside e.g. ICC Examin.

> In this case the question of Gamma 1,8 2,2 sRGB or L* is not problem.
> ProPhoto RGB standardized through ISO and Thousand users of Adobe Photoshop
> and Lightroom working with is successfully as an intermediate step between
> vendor specific RAW and outputspaces like e.g. sRGB.

They can. But we can not redistribute ProPhoto RGB due to the old ICC
license. That is a known issue. I mentioned it the day before you arrived
to ICC in Munich.

> I don´t see the need that the Open Source Community would need an extra wide
> gamut space.

The need for a 8-bit space and a profile licensed after the ICC v2 license
made this call.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe