[Openicc] Ghostscript PDF/X-3

Michael Vrhel michael.vrhel at artifex.com
Wed Mar 21 11:23:01 PDT 2012

Kai-Uwe,

If a device ICC profile is explicitly given using the command
ption  -sOutputICCProfile="my_device_profile.icc" then the assumption is
that this is truly the ICC profile that describes the device I am printing
to.   If in addition, I include the option -dUsePDFX3Profile, then the
OutputIntent ICC profile will be used as a proofing profile, so that when I
print (or display) to my actual device I should see what was intended to be
see as if it had been displayed with the device described by the
OutputIntent.

This proofing will also occur if the process color model does not match the
process color model of the OutputIntent.   For example, if I am rendering
out to an RGB device and I specify -dUsePDFX3Profile and my OutputIntent is
a CMYK ICC profile.   Again, I would like to see on the screen an
approximation of how it would appear if printed on the CMYK device.

If I do not specify an ICC profile for my device with  something
like -sOutputICCProfile="my_device_profile.icc" and the process color model
for my device matches the color space of the OutputIntent and I
include -dUsePDFX3Profile on the command line, then the output will be
rendered into the color space defined by the OutputIntent ICC profile,
assuming that the OutputIntent included an ICC profile and was not simply a
registry and a standard profile name.

Does this all make sense?

I still have a few issues remaining that appear to be with the rendering
intent in the proofing case that I am tracking down.   These show up in the
Ghent testing files.    I will have these addressed before the release of
9.06 in August.

Kind Regards,

Michael