[Openicc] Gutenprint team requests CM-off for a print queue be provided as a maintained engineering facility.

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Fri May 11 14:49:41 PDT 2012

Chris,

Thank you for discussing our request.

If a PPD is present, I would prefer it to be PPD based, because it
would mean that if we copy the PPD across to another system the other
system will behave exactly the same. The big problem with print
debugging at the moment, in my experience is that one always misses
setting the right things in the GUI etc, and reproducing a state
exactly is hard, especially across systems.

If a PPD is not present, I a out of my depth, but I would insist on
clearly visible state and reproductibility, for the reasons above.
Please understand, this is not a "do once and print one target while
holding one hand above your head, and touching your toes with the
other", but rather a mode into which one locks the whole queue under
development, and spends days running tests, and one needs to know that
nothing strange happens when the hardware is turned on and off etc,
and that the state of the while system can be quickly saved out and
reproduced at a distant site. eg. I am in Europe, while Robert is in
the states, some of our best collaborators are in Russia etc.

Edmund