[Openicc] Gutenprint team requests CM-off for a print queue be provided as a maintained engineering facility.

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Fri May 11 18:44:09 PDT 2012

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 3:31 AM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:

> Robert said yesterday:
>> We want an option -- a user-level option, on a par with others such as paper size, media type, and resolution -- to do this.  Not an API that requires application modification.
>

> So why does a CLI tool, e.g.:
>
> printtarget -f <targetfilename> -p <ppd configuration file> -d <device>
>
> not meet the requirement? Why modify all PPDs to achieve the result you're after, and thereby cause a box to be rendered in the print UI? That just gets you a switch that you then also have to use. A CLI tool can ensure this is done each time correctly, and it's scriptable. If your configuration file really contains every bit of detail for printing including orientation, size, margins, centering, scaling, etc. doesn't seem like you need a dialog to print.

Please, Chris, we want something that will work for all printing from
legacy apps.
Stop acting as a gatekeeper. If you continue to find ways to convince
others that we don't need this, all you are going to get is zero
future cooperation from the Gutenprint project.
If you don't have a nice way to suggest how this may be done, just
stand aside. It's an engineering request, not a user feature request.
It is not frivolous.

Edmund