[Openicc] Gutenprint team requests CM-off for a print queue be provided as a maintained engineering facility.

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri May 11 19:12:46 PDT 2012

On May 11, 2012, at 7:44 PM, edmund ronald wrote:
> we want something that will work for all printing from legacy apps.

Why?

> If you continue to find ways to convince
> others that we don't need this, all you are going to get is zero
> future cooperation from the Gutenprint project.

I think it's made rather abundantly clear that color management is dead in the water if there's no way to print profile targets. Kai-Uwe is aware. Richard is aware.

> If you don't have a nice way to suggest how this may be done, just
> stand aside. It's an engineering request, not a user feature request.
> It is not frivolous.

It is not only an engineering request, any user should have the ability to print their own profile targets, same as you. I don't understand what requirement you have that's any different from a user who needs to engage in the same activity. Can you explain the difference? Why would the engineers you're petitioning want to get sucked into creating a Gutenprint specific feature, and then later be told users need the same function but the Gutenprint function is incongruent with user requirements?

I think most engineers want some assurance that all liabilities are on the table before they start coding something that's possibly non-trivial, and has ramifications for other engineering teams and users.

Perhaps what you need is some sort of Ghostscript diagnostic mode that would cause it to not do any transforms. It would probably an extremely brute force hammer that would apply to anything going into Ghostscript once it's in that mode. Would that work? This is probably a question for Michael Vrhel.