[Openicc] Gutenprint mission as Linux moves towards color managed workflows

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Mon May 14 03:20:55 PDT 2012

Jan-Peter,

 Maybe I have not made myself clear enough. There are a lot of "partially
cooked" useful states in Gutenprint, and one, two or three flags aren't
enough to describe them; more will be necessary, but I don't think they
will be needed in CUPS, nor should they be defined now.

I am not rejecting Graeme and Kai-Uwe's remarks; it is just that due to the
immaturity of our system, and the fact that it will be crowdsourced we may
wish to define the various user-modes more precisely once the prototypes
are up and running. Existing RIPs expose linearisation and then profiling,
but in our case we aim to be able to expose much more as our mission is to
be open-source and very flexible.

 My hope is that Till's work, and Joseph's GSOC project which has per-queue
in it will quickly get us a working system so that  domain experts like you
can play with the functionality and provide feedback.

Edmund