[Openicc] Gutenprint mission as Linux moves towards color managed workflows

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Mon May 14 12:04:42 PDT 2012

Based on the recent posts (esp Graeme's reference to [1] and Michael's
recomendation to use a string prop rather than a bool prob for better
compatibility), it seems like the best way to easily cover every need
would be to have a single prop which can take one of serveral options:

      raw, adjusted, separated, calibrated, profiled

with profiled as the normal default.  It probably would be useful to
accept either shortest matching strings or a digit string (raw==0, ...
profiled==4) to ease typing when using them at the cli.

I do hope we end up with an option which is *much* shorter than, eg,
org.linuxfoundation.color-managed or the like.  Something more like
OPColorManaged would be nicer.  A longer description can be provided
in the ppd.

Do read [1] to see why I suggest the names raw, adjusted, separated,
calibrated and profiled, and in that order.

1] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/openicc/2011q2/003659.html

-JimC