[Openicc] Call for help: Review of CM patches for Poppler needed

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Mar 6 22:50:27 PST 2013

On Mar 6, 2013, at 10:57 PM, James Cloos <cloos at jhcloos.com> wrote:

> Note that when converting from pdf to postscript, one doesn't want to
> do any colour management.

> Instead, and objects which define a colour space should be converted
> into postscript which defines the same colour space, and everything
> else should remain in whichever colour space it is in.

That's specious. In the real world, PostScript color management in actual printers is a massively broken clusterf\ck and that's the diplomatic explanation. I long ago convinced Adobe to get rid of all the PostScript color management in their own applications, prematch everything before generating PostScript, and send device color to the PostScript printer.

I see no sane way to get reliable color from real PostScript devices while depending on PostScript color management. The policies to honor, ignore, or assume other, CSA's and CRD's based on color mode are so variable from vendor to vendor, and device to device, that it constitutes a massive willful sabotage. And that's the intended behaviors, I'm not even griping about the bugs.