[Openicc] Call for help: Review of CM patches for Poppler needed

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Thu Mar 7 14:20:18 PST 2013

CM> That's specious. In the real world, PostScript color management
CM> in actual printers is ... massively broken

I know, from your previous posts, that you have experienced more
printers and brands thereof than I have.  But when I bought mine,
I spent the time to research the options and chose one, (barely)
w/in my budget, which does colour right.

And it wasn't the only such option.

If there are models which are known to do a poor job, then we
should recommend rendering to DeviceCMYK (cups|pwg)raster and
sending that, perhaps encased in PS or PDF, to that printer.
Or DeviceRGB if that is better for that particular model.

But only for those models which are KNOWN to screw it up, or
when the user chooses that option for his/her own reasons.

Getting in the way of properly engineered printers just because
some of their competition isn't is worse than trusting printers
by default.

-JimC