[Openicc] GSoC 2013 preparations

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 06:04:16 PDT 2013

On 15 March 2013 22:41, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
> If you want to write there an idea for your project or you like to mentor
> and need a login, let me know. Alternatively send your preformatted idea and
> I can put it into the wiki.

I'm not sure I agree with "OpenICC Colour Configuration Data Base" and
the association with colord.

* yajl isn't a standard dep on most systems
* JSON isn't a database
* /etc is for configuration, not databases
* "add DBus interface" isn't right as colord is already a D-Bus
interface to the database

There would have to be a very compelling reason for colord to switch
away from the sqlite database we have now. In Fedora we turn off the
ucmm library for Argyllcms, and in my opinion the number of users
using Oyranos and colord at the same time is not significant enough
for the pain of migrating settings and maintaining backwards
compatibility. Just deciding on something as simple as the primary
keys for storage has traditionally been impossible between oyranos and
colord and so I think this item should be removed from the wiki.

I'll follow up later with a list of additional tasks for other projects. Thanks.

Richard