[Openicc] GSoC 2013 preparations

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 01:33:15 PDT 2013

On 20 March 2013 07:26, Graeme Gill <graeme at argyllcms.com> wrote:
> But surely this can be fixed - ie., give a specific daemon permission
> to read & monitor a specific file ?

Ohh sure, but that means tagging the config file with a specific
label, which breaks horribly (silently) if someone does a naive cp
~/foo ~/.config/foo without -Z. That also doesn't work when the user
isn't logged in and the home directory is encrypted. It's also
horribly inefficient when there are lots of users, or when /home is on
a remote NFS share.

> Seems like you are being facetious.

Perhaps, but my point was that what colord does now works. From my
point of view, what do I gain from switching to a whole new
configuration storage system? Users don't care about the
implementation details, they care about bugs that affect them and
features they find useful.

Richard