[Openicc] GSoC 2013 preparations

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Wed Mar 20 05:36:59 PDT 2013

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 18:26:27 +1100, Graeme Gill wrote:
> Richard Hughes wrote:
>
>> does not have read permission on the target. As a general permissions
>> issue, daemons are not allowed access to files in /home, and with
>> SELinux are actively blocked from doing so.
>
> But surely this can be fixed - ie., give a specific daemon permission
> to read & monitor a specific file ?

That might not be possible.

Many daemons don't run as root, and in general, the fewer the better for
security purposes (if something doesn't need superuser privs, it
shouldn't have them; if there's one very specific capability it needs,
give it that capability, but don't give it general file access
privileges, which pretty much just opens everything up).

In addition, if the user's home directory is located on remote, secured
storage (e. g. Kerberos-aware NFS), a system daemon, even if running as
local superuser, may not have access to the user's authentication tokens.

MIT VI-3 1987 - Congrats MIT Engineers 5 straight men's hoops tourney

--Eric Crampton