[Openicc] The OutputIntent and Color Managed Printing

Gerhard Fuernkranz nospam456 at gmx.de
Mon May 20 13:02:36 PDT 2013

Am 20.05.2013 19:41, schrieb Michael Vrhel:
> Gerhard,
>
> The Ghent PDF Workgroup uses the term proofing for this problem. The goal is to create the document on the real printing device as it was intended to appear on the output intent pseudo device. See Section 3.2 in the document contained at http://www.gwg.org/pdfx-output-intents-white-paper/. Personally to me, I don't see any difference in the solution to a retargeting problem and a proofing problem.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the link to the paper.
In particular section 3.3 seems to defeat my intuitive re-targeting expectations, though :-(
Actually I would expect that re-targeting to another printer does take the gamut of the other printer into account.

Let's assume I've got a PDF intended for offset printing, and I'm a dumb user, not knowing anything about output intents, proofing, etc., and I simply want to print (not proof) this document on my laser printer on normal office paper (-> which has a rather limited gamut and cannot reproduce very dark black).

What was my expectation then? I certainly

  * would not want to get clipped shadows or too strongly clipped saturated colors (due to the offset print gamut being larger than my printer's gamut)

  * would not want to get paper color emulation (which at least absolute colorimetric proofing would do)

  * but I rather would like to get a pleasing reproduction of the document on _my printer_, which implies that also the gamut must be remapped according to the needs of my printer

An (absolute or relative) colorimetric proof would certainly not yield the desired results in this case.

How could one, for instance, achieve the desired output?

 1. Use perceptual (not colorimetric) rendering intent for the proofing transformation (but can we call it "proofing" or "emulation" any more then?)

 2. or use the output intent color space only as DefaultCMYK (in case that there are any DeviceCMYK colors used in the document), and convert CIE-based colors in the document still directly to my printer's profile.

Best Regards,
Gerhard