[Openicc] Printing profiling targets - state of implementation?

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Tue May 21 13:23:08 PDT 2013

Chris,

 At this point I think it will be necessary to have a debate.

 But I would like to stress that we DO NOT require a GUI switch, as we want
to be able to switch a whole queue into the CMS OFF mode ... and watch ink
running off the paper if we exceed the ink limits if we foobar the data ...
because that's what we do. We deal with the physical device, not its
logical rendering.  You off all people know the drill: Ink limitation, ink
curves channel by channel, linearisation channel by channel, profiling,
each requires its set of targets.  You of all people know how many sheets
of paper end up going through a device, in its raw mode before the device
is profiled and locked.

 Re. the ppd etc, two remarks.
 1. We expect that some mechanism for editing ie.. loading part of the ppd
governing its inking behavior be editable BY US on the fly, because when
tuning the media settings  that is what we do.
 2. Who do you think is responsible for the contents of the PPD as it
stands? My impression, last time I looked is that the ppd contains in large
part a printer description, which comes from ... the people who have
created the printing backend.

I'm drunk. I'm tired. Clearly these points need to be debated by smarter
and cooler heads than mine.

Edmund