[Openicc] Printing profiling targets - state of implementation?

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue May 21 12:43:46 PDT 2013

On May 21, 2013, at 1:14 PM, edmund ronald <edmundronald at gmail.com> wrote:

> Michael,
>
>  At this point let me be really clear.  We wish to use apps like the GIMP to print our targets on a queue, with no color management. We do not wish to use "special" apps or call an API. We want to be able to do it with "normal" apps on a "normal" distribution.The option to disable color management can be set in the ppd, which means not accessible in a UI and thus not confusing. However if you disagree with providing this option after having discussed it "amongst yourselves", your chances of active cooperation from us re. color management will be very strongly diminished. Is this really what you want? Is it that important not to provide a ppd switch?

If it will work anything like the way lpadmin does on OS X, the original ppd isn't touched, a copy is made when a queue is made, and unique queue features that necessitate ppd modification go in that queue's ppd. So no I'd not expect the ppd to be directly editable by a person, that's really kludgy and risky. Rather the queue specific ppd is modified via lpadmin.

It's up to GIMP developers if they want to present this as a GUI option within the app. It's not appropriate in my opinion for us to dictate to application developers what options they decide to reveal to their users.