[packagekit] yum requirements -- can and cannot remove gimp

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 10:00:12 PST 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 14:06 +0100, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
> The yum backend can do a remove with depremoval, but it is not made
> available in pkcon because it is to dangerous.

Nahh, not really. It's mainly due to lack of effort on my part. It's not
just a case of adding a remove-force type parameter in pkcon, as then
it's easy to shoot yourself in the foot with pkcon remove-force glib2.
See my other mail for a possible solution.

> You will not see a list of what is getting remove, before the removal start.
> I see pkcon as a testing tool for packagekit, not a replacement for
> native package tool.

Well, sure. yum and apt are still there in the background, but teaching
pkcon about advanced stuff the API can do anyway is probably a good
thing. For me personally, I've not touched the yum command line tool in
days, and that used to be a pretty daily occurrence.

Richard