[packagekit] Install rpm similiar to livna repo for packagekit for f8

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 08:57:27 PST 2007

On Sat, 2007-11-10 at 10:50 -0600, Christopher Desjardins wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like to suggest that someone create a .rpm package similar to the
> one for Livna's http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/ repository for Fedora.
> When you click on the Fedora 8 repository RPM link it prompts you to
> install the rpm with Software Installer.  It than adds the repository
> path to /etc/yum.repo.d/ thus making life just a little bit easier for
> the end user :)

Seems sane - anything that increases the number of users testing out
alpha versions is good for me.

> Also splitting packagekit into packagekit.repo too would be a good idea
> for the novice user that doesn't want the latest and greatest g-p-m or
> that tends to run yum update or pup with their eyes closed :D

Sure, the utopia repo gets quite brutal (it's only small now as F8 has
just been released) with lots of git and svn versions of alpha level
software; it's not a nice place to play if you just want to see if a
newer version of PackageKit has fixed a bug.

I propose on putting the daily PackageKit and gnome-packagekit rpm's on
http://packagekit.org/pre-release/rpm - if that's okay with Ken and
Elliot. I can edit my daily build script to scp the rpms there and run
create-repo on the output. The packagekit-prerelease.rpm is also a good
idea, and I'm sure I can figure out how to do it taking apart a
fedora-release srpm.

Ken, Elliot, could you create a pre-release/rpm somewhere on the server
pls, and also give me write access on it please? I also see no problem
with other people with commit uploading .deb or .emerge files there.

Thanks,