[packagekit] exclude some upgrades

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Nov 12 10:58:06 PST 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 18:14 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > Fair enough. packagekit won't be very useful as an update tool in ,
> > rawhide then but I can live with that.

I was trying to convey this is a problem with stable releases too. Users
install all sort of 3rd party RPM's and given that RPM's has file deps
the update can't happen. It's naive to think that this is not a problem
with stable releases. Do you disagree?

> Well, see above. I think this needs to be done at the yum level, not
> PackageKit.

Here's a question. Do you think the user really cares whether it's done
at the yum level or the PackageKit level? No. So here's the story board

 - User tries to update system
 - Transaction can't happen
 - Some magic in the PacakgeKit yum backend to figure out the biggest
   possible set that actually will make the transaction happen (hint:
   look at a yum plugin that actually does this)
 - User is informed of this by PackageKit showing the update list
   but with some of the packages unchecked (GtkCheckButton)
 - User reviews the checked updates and presses update
 - Life goes on

> > Would you consider a "install only this one package"
> > button ?
>
> Totally, it's a good idea. Give me two minutes.

Uhm, that was actually what I was suggesting with saying the user should
be able to cherry-pick updates.

     David