[packagekit] exclude some upgrades

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 11:06:47 PST 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 13:58 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 18:14 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > > Fair enough. packagekit won't be very useful as an update tool in ,
> > > rawhide then but I can live with that.
>
> I was trying to convey this is a problem with stable releases too. Users
> install all sort of 3rd party RPM's and given that RPM's has file deps
> the update can't happen. It's naive to think that this is not a problem
> with stable releases. Do you disagree?

Well yes. You're making the user do something clever because the repo
has done something dumb.

> > Well, see above. I think this needs to be done at the yum level, not
> > PackageKit.
>
> Here's a question. Do you think the user really cares whether it's done
> at the yum level or the PackageKit level? No.

Totally.

>  - User tries to update system
>  - Transaction can't happen
>  - Some magic in the PacakgeKit yum backend to figure out the biggest
>    possible set that actually will make the transaction happen (hint:
>    look at a yum plugin that actually does this)

Sure. Either we do this in the yum plugin or we handle this in the
yumBackend.py file.

>  - User is informed of this by PackageKit showing the update list
>    but with some of the packages unchecked (GtkCheckButton)

No, if a user can't be applied then it shouldn't be shown in the package
update list. The update list shows "updateable" packages.

>  - User reviews the checked updates and presses update
>  - Life goes on

Except if you've checked the "automatically update" checkbox. Then you
can't review anything.

> > > Would you consider a "install only this one package"
> > > button ?
> >
> > Totally, it's a good idea. Give me two minutes.
>
> Uhm, that was actually what I was suggesting with saying the user should
> be able to cherry-pick updates.

No, I've added a button to the detail viewer, so that a user can click
kernel - get all the info - and then just install this specific update.
I don't think check boxes are the way to go at all.