[packagekit] exclude some upgrades

Tim Lauridsen tim.lauridsen at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 13 02:40:36 PST 2007

Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-11-13 at 06:49 +0100, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
>
>> It is a difficult case the 'skip-broken' plugin i has written is
>> working by depsolve each of the available updates, to see if it can
>> depsolve without
>> errors, this functionality can be build into the YumBackend. But ït
>> increase to time to get the updates. So it should be something there
>> can be turned on/off.
>>

> Why not just get the update list (complete) and:
>
> 1. if it can be depsolved, return the list
> 2. if not, then start processing each package and depsolving each one.
>
> so we only use the "go slow" case when the repos are broken.

Depsolving all available updates will also take time, so it would be
nice to have the possibility to turn it off.
Depsolve each package one at a time, will not take much longer than
depsolve the whole transaction.
So i see no need to at an extra step to depsolve the whole transaction.

>> * Get the list of available updates.
>> * Foreach update check if it can be depsolved.
>> * if yes: submit package available if
>>

> not "available" - that's for searching. you want low, high, normal,
> security etc.

Yes, just of cause.

>> * if no:  submit package cant foo
>>
>> It i not easy to find the cause of why the package not can be updated
>> is hard to get, because the error messages is not always clear.
>>

> Sure, we just need to find a sane English version of "cannot depsolve" -
> I appreciate this isn't an easy problem to fix.

What i meant is the error messages there comes from the yum depsolver,
describe the problem, not the cause of the problem.
Example:
'Missing Denpendency: foolib = 1.2.3 if needed by package bar'
This can be caused by a lot of causes.

Tim