[packagekit] GetUpdates

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 09:05:34 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 11:48 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On 10/5/07, Ken VanDine <ken at vandine.org> wrote:
> >
> > Also, people have complained about the icon coming and going,
> > confusing.  Perhaps we really should just leave the icon in the
> > systray, and allow all the actions to be launched from there.
> >

> I haven't used a recent packagekit build, so just speaking in general here.

Why not :-)

Lean on Robin to get a build into rawhide. All the deps are there now.

> Imo the confusion happens if you pile on unrelated features to a status
> icon. As long as the icon is only indicating the availability of
> updates, hiding
> and showing it should be just fine. Additional features should be available
> elsewhere in the menus.

Yes. We have two icons which should convey status. The updates-available
icon only appears when there are updates to be installed manually. The
working icon only appears when pk is doing something (updating etc) and
allows you to see progress.

No icon should be there permanently. Any functionality like this belongs
in the menus.