[packagekit] Compilation error

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 12:05:01 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 14:43 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> You could consider GPLv2+ + exception for the system-wide mechanism bit.
> Basically the exception would allow any backend to be loaded regardless
> of license; e.g. you don't consider a backend to be a derived work of
> the PackageKit core.

Ohh, I don't think backends should live outside the PackageKit source
tree - therefore a proprietary backend isn't an idea I want to
entertain.

> For the desktop bits; typically libraries in the GNOME stack are LGPLv2+
> and applications are GPLv2+. I would do the same.

In your opinion, should libpackagekit be split out into a different
tarball?

> Personally I would choose something like what I sketched above. Except
> that it may be a real bitch to properly word the exception.

Sure, so we'll ignore that :-) Tom, do you have any specific objections
to GPLv2+?

Thanks,