[packagekit] Compilation error

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Oct 11 12:16:16 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 20:05 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 14:43 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > You could consider GPLv2+ + exception for the system-wide mechanism bit.
> > Basically the exception would allow any backend to be loaded regardless
> > of license; e.g. you don't consider a backend to be a derived work of
> > the PackageKit core.
>
> Ohh, I don't think backends should live outside the PackageKit source
> tree - therefore a proprietary backend isn't an idea I want to
> entertain.

Sure, fair enough; maybe even a good idea because then it's easier to go
and change API without people getting mad. Just make sure it's all under
the same license.

> > For the desktop bits; typically libraries in the GNOME stack are LGPLv2+
> > and applications are GPLv2+. I would do the same.
>
> In your opinion, should libpackagekit be split out into a different
> tarball?

Depends. I think you probably want to mark it as a private
implementation detail of PackageKit itself. Gives you more freedom to
change things.

The interfaces you offer to applications like Totem, Gimp, whatever will
be over the D-Bus session bus and some "ABI stable" interface.

So probably GPLv2+ is fine there too.

Just my $0.02.

     David